December 06, 2009

Happy Birthday Aunt Holly!!

YaY!! December 6th (the day I remembered before Holly did, my only claim to fame guys, not gonna drop it!). Happy Birthday Holly!! We didn't get to hang out nor talk but I still love her like a sister and I can't believe it's that time of year again! That just means that Christmas, New Years, Amy's Birthday, Mine, and Elliott's (and my mom's) are just right around the corner!

I love this time of year! With the past few years Christmas has really taken on a special meaning for our family and I think it is because we are a family now. We have a child to share this amazing time with and it just reminds me of why it is so special to have children. Kevin and I have been really working on our spiritual lives these past few years because we have witnessed so many wonderful things that God has given to us and I think this year Christmas will be different. More of a time of reflection for us and just thinking about the birth of Jesus (which is what Christmas celebrates in the first place) and why it is important to be with your family.

So many things in our lives are changing for the better and I really believe it's because we are also growing stronger in our faith. We don't walk around thumping bibles on every one's heads who don't believe or anything, but just going through a real personal journey. At times it is almost scary at the thought of committing yourself fully to this idea just completely on faith alone, and that is why I am so thankful that I have a husband who shares my same beliefs (although at times our interpretation may be different!). We both have this desire to be more active in our parish and I feel like we are finally finding a home with St. Thomas and we are getting to know some really nice people there! It's just so hard being new to a town and starting over, and learning everything that is available to us. Again, I am so thankful that we have a church that is full of young families and so much is focused on the family and children that I honestly feel like I receive guidance in my parenting from them.

Today I had a really great experience at our Baptism class for Mr. Declan. Since we Baptised Elliott in my home church in Houston we did not have to attend a class, but St. Thomas does require it, and I am so glad they do! It was taught by other parents, and I actually know one of them from Elliott's class! It was about 3 hours long and we will be there again next week for the second half of the class. It was just good to go over the ceremony itself as well as our intentions as to why we CHOOSE to Baptise our children. And then we also covered some parenting advice and some really great ideas in how to incorporate our faith into every day activities. Sometimes we get so wrapped up in "surviving being a parent" that a lot of the important focus is lost. It was just a good way to bring us back to why we wanted to be parents in the first place and how to go about raising children that we are proud of. =0)

Religion has played such a huge role in both Kevin and my lives that I don't know who we would be without it. I have so many childhood memories of all the activities we did and how significant it was to go through all our rites. It made me feel whole as a child and I am really happy that we have both stayed the course and have chosen to raise our children in the same way. And of course as adults they will make their own decisions and choices and we can only hope that those decisions are positive ones (even though I am sure at times we may not approve!). lol

Lots of important things have been on my mind and I am so sure on Kevin's as well, but I don't always find the time to blog about it or it is just very private that I don't feel like letting the cyber world in on it. I was just very moved today in the class and very motivated (not even sure if that is the right word, maybe even reaffirmed in my faith?) that I felt the urge to post about it.


This season we have SO much to be thankful for and so many blessings I just can not even describe the feeling I have right now and how my faith has been strengthened by everything in my life. I think this is how people feel when they are sincerely happy with what they have. And that is the first time in my life that I have been able to say I would not change a damn thing about my life. I am perfectly content. And I owe that comfort to God for giving me my amazing family.

I used to say that parenting didn't change me, but it has. I am changed. I am different. But I am so much better for it. I am still me- loud, sometimes boisterous, and perhaps even annoying at times... but I am happy. I hope each one of you reading this can feel this way without a doubt because it is an amazing feeling. And just remember what this Christmas season is celebrating because the gift we have been given is such an amazing thing, if you can just give yourself to it.

No comments: