January 08, 2009

Already Unpacked!

Guess that's the life of a SAHM. I have been able to wash all the new clothes Elliott received as Christmas presents (which took up an entire suitcase!! thanks everyone!!) and organize them. The boy has enough clothes to last us until next Christmas! No complaints here =)

There are just a few random things still laying around the house that need to be put away, but I will be cleaning like mad this week since we are going to have Elliott's birthday party next weekend. Which I didn't realize was so close to when we came home from Ireland, meaning I should have done invitations before we left. I've been very under the weather since we got home and only now am I up to going out and about. So we will be sending those out ASAP!

Elliott has also fallen ill with the stomach bug we all had in Ireland... and it seems my mother has caught it from him =/ oh dear, I hope we don't start an epidemic here in America. haha This thing is so contagious and hopefully my mom's coworkers don't get it from her!!

Elliott and I also had a bit of an incident yesterday. sigh I know, I feel like a terrible mother~always strange things happening to us. Well, I was doing laundry and went out to hang some of the clothes you can't put in the dryer... and I didn't realize that the bottom lock (the one that's actually in the door knob itself) was still turned to "lock." The way this type works is that you can still open the door from the inside, but the outside is still locked and the knob won't even turn. Well, Kevin and I never use the bottom lock on the back door, just the deadbolt. So there I went to hang out the laundry and I shut the door because leaves were blowing into the house.

Well, to my obvious surprise I come to find out that I was locked out... with my baby INSIDE. Panic. So I go running around to the front of the house, me looking like a hot mess in my PJs, messy hair, and jet lag written all over me, and that door was locked too. I ran over to our neighbors house and knocked on the door to use their phone. Thankfully Jenny answered and I called Kevin. He didn't recognize the number so he didn't answer the first few times I called. Then he finally picked up. I told him what had happened and that the baby was still in the house somewhere in the kitchen and he needed to come home NOW to let me in.

OMG I don't think I have ever felt so terrified in my life. Time literally stood still, I don't even remember how long it took Kevin to get home. I just stood at the back of the house playing at the window with Elliott. Trying to keep his attention as long as I could. Well, he eventually got tired and crawled over to the dog food. That damn dog food, I swear. So I started screaming and banging on the windows at Elliott pleading with him to come back to the window and leave the food alone. Did he listen? NO.

So there I was, locked out of my own house, standing in the freezing cold, screaming and banging at hte window trying to get my son not to eat the dog food. Well... then Elliott started coughing... I couldn't tell if he was choking or what. That's when things got really bad. I picked up something I found in the back yard attempting to break down the window with tears rolling down my face, and Kevin runs in. Thank God. He looked at me through the window as I was screaming "DOG FOOD DOG FOOD" and he knew what I meant. I collapsed from pure emotions. Kevin even told me later that he has never seen me so upset but I felt like a helpless mother who was going to watch her son die while eating dog food. We embraced for a while then Kevin had to head back to work.

Sometimes I wonder why do things like this always seem to happen to me? Am I really that irresponsible? If this is God's way of testing me I'll pass thanks. I know I can seem distracted at times but I know I would never EVER neglect my son, he is all that I live for. I know I'm not the only mother that has such experiences with their kids, but I feel like I am the only one. sigh

So after that emotional day I laid around the house too drained to do much, plus I am suffering from bad sinusitis. Bending over to pick stuff up makes me very dizzy and at this point I'll just focus on doing things for Elliott. Cleaning and putting up the laundry can wait.

Kevin and I caught up on our Heros episode that we missed while in Ireland... I can't wait for it to start up again this week!! Yes! And big Jon and Kate (Plus 8) news... they are moving into a new house! YaY I love being in Ireland but I missed all the comforts of home. Being able to watch shows I know something about (totally clueless about Emmerdale lol) is something I was really looking forward to! As well as being able to do my own cooking, as strange as that sounds. I loved Kevin's mom's food, don't get me wrong, but I feel strange not moving around and doing things myself. I guess you get used to doing things on your own that having someone else always doing it for you is so weird. Hopefully Kevin's family will be able to come over this year. Even just for a week or 2 would be nice. Plane ticket prices are meant to be going way down this year!

In Blinn news... Wyatt is getting married!!! YaY We should be getting the invite any day now but the date is Feb 21st! I can't wait to see him and his future wife. It's about time is all I'm saying =)

All our pictures are on the computer, but I think blogger takes too long to post them, so here are a few from our journey home.





2 comments:

TexasCoy said...

OMG! Amelia your story about getting locked out, it's funny, but scary at the same time. Glad it all worked out!

The DuBransky's said...

Hi Amelia! Your story about being locked out is so scary! You handled it the best way you could, so please don't feel guilty. I'm sure things will happen over the years that you can't control, and one day you will tell Elliot this story and laugh. Thank you for being such a great friend to Dave over the years!