January 06, 2009

HOME!

Yes, The McGlones made it back home safely (for the most part lol). Several things to note about our last few days in Ireland and then the flight home.

It was official, everyone in the house got sick with the 'bug' we had. Even Kevin's father. Well, all except Elliott but speaking in adult terms it was everyone. It seems that it was something that was brought over from Australia and was being spread through the fog. hmm

Everything else that happened to us seems so far from our memory now because of our flight. Not because of the length of flight but because of what happened to us. Sit back, enjoy and be glad you didn't fly home from Ireland that day.

It was a great day for flying... the sleet had cleared up completely by the time we got to the airport, with all 5 suitcases, 2 carryons, stroller, and diaper bag. Check in was fine, as all our suitcases were of course overweight. The attendant didn't seem to mind at all and just stuck a heavy label on all of them. Wow, never has been flying been so easy I thought.

Security was actually a bit harder to go through in Belfast than America, and I actually had to taste the baby food. They did a special screening and all but I was prepared. I checked online before we went on that airports policy on babyfood and I knew I was going to be asked to sample a small amount.

Then we boarded the airplane and sat. And sat. After an hour of being on the plane the captain apologized for being late and we were off. Sometime during the flight the captain came on. Strange.

WE HAVE AN ENGINE OUT. uhhh wait what? ENGINE OUT. Ok, the director can yell cut and the movie can stop now. haha We had to redirect our route from flying over the Atlantic ocean to somehow finding land (while crossing AN OCEAN) and fly across land. I mean seriously, could our lives get any more interesting. So an engine was out, they were still flying the plane, just a really messed up route and it took us an extra hour to land.
So when we land we had to go through Passport Control, get our luggage, go through customs, drop off our luggage, go through security yet again, and then RUN our asses off to catch our next plane. As our breathless bunch make it to the gate they are already boarding and we get on.

Thankfully there was nothing that happened on this plane that was worth mentioning, in fact it was one of the best flights I have ever had. Elliott was amazing and didn't fuss the entire time. As we were getting off people were giving us compliments on how well Elliott did. YaY I was a happy mom.

Finally we made it to my parents house and then to College Station this morning. Elliott is taking a nap and I am uploading pictures to facebook. I think I have a head cold coming on, which compared to last week I think I will survived. Kevin is back at work, just a half day today and then full swing tomorrow.

My brother (who works for an airline) knows all the websites to look up flight info an stuff, and sent me this link. This was our flight path that we took from Belfast, Northern Ireland on Jan. 5th. He thinks the start of the line is when the pilot first radioed in. Generally the flight goes straight across the water.



http://map5.flightaware.com/flight_track_map.rvt?ident=COA95-1231164022-25766-3;airports=EGAA%20KEWR+;key=8c15fb3da870269f96dd283ea66c546a85c07797;keytime=1231270231;height=600;width=800;departuretime=1231157220;arrivaltime=1231184105

EGAA is our origin (Belfast International) and KEWR is Newark Airport in New Jersey. The light blue outlines are other countries and the white outline with lightblue coloring is the united States. The big blue mass in the middle would be the ocean =)

1 comment:

Aimee Scogin said...

Glad you all made it back safe and sound! Sounds like a bit of rest is needed! :)