Sooooo much has happened in the past few weeks but Elliott and I have been really sick, so no blogging!
A few weeks back Aunt Holly came to stay with us for an entire week! It actually happened to be the exact same time as last year when she came to stay with us while I finished off my last 2 weeks working. Can't believe that has been a year! What a testing time in our lives and yet we have come so far. I have done lots of reflecting over the past few days about how significant April has been for us.
Kevin's parents had just left America, I was "going back to work" and Elliott was meant to be starting up day care. Wow. So many emotions and anxieties because I had no idea what the future was going to hold for me. Little did we know that I was going to quit my job, have Holly watch Elliott for us for 2 weeks, pull Elliott out of day care and filed suit against our sitter! Not to mention a complete emotional break down on my part. Oh and buying a house and moving! Whew.
Because of the support of our family and friends Kevin and I have come out above all of our trials stronger and significantly changed. So I wanted to thank especially Holly for going above and beyond of what a best friend should be. And of course Mike and Robin for loving Elliott soooo much and always willing to help us out by coming over to help or watching Elliott for the night! And of course Tracy and Rachel for being more than willing to babysit so Kevin and I can enjoy time together (usually going to the movies!). While I know our family wishes they could be here with us to help, we have been blessed with a family of friends to be there for us!
I think after such an eye opening year our family has come full circle. We are able to reflect on the past, learn from it and finally move on. It is an amazing feeling, like a weight lifted off my shoulders and we can enjoy living in our home without fear of the unknown. We feel like College Station really is our home now and are no longer strangers. =) We have a history here and I wouldn't change it for the world.
So, the next "big step" for our family is to enroll Elliott in a part day program at our church! So in August he is going to be going to "class" T-days from 9am to 2pm! So exciting! I am looking at this as a transition for Elliott. I know that I will soon want to go back to work full time and so getting him used to being away from home and with other kids his age will really help. I love staying at home more than I could have EVER imagined but the facts are that we can't survive on what we have forever. As Elliott gets older and siblings are added (yay for more kids!) cost of living is going waaaaay up! We'll see. For now I am just enjoy and savoring every single day we have together at home... even if we are sick!
Speaking of which.... I have been terribly sick with the mother of all colds. No, I am pretty sure its not the Swine Flu (no fevers or throwing up, etc) so don't worry if you've been around me recently. haha But today is day 11 of this stupid thing and I am only kinda starting to see some relief. Mostly it's all in my head, as in pressure, congestion, and headaches. My chest has cleared up for the most part and sore throat gone. Poor Elliott didn't have a chance. He caught it from me, although he has not taken it nearly as bad. We have been doing nice warms baths, saline drops, humidifiers and Benadryl. I would not have normally taken him to the doctor but we are flying out to Ireland this weekend and we can't be sick.
And speaking of flying!! I have started packing up our stuff for our flight over!! Elliott and I are heading out to Ireland this weekend for 2 weeks. I have figured out how to attach the car seat to our stroller so I can manage alone. I am also using a backpack for my carry on! Hopefully we can make it across the ocean in one piece!! Elliott does have his own seat this time but we don't have Kevin to help me bounce Elliott up and down the aisles when he is crying!
I guess you could say I am either really brave or really stupid for attempting an 11 hour flight alone with a toddler, across the ocean. And considering last time we flew this route the engine went out on the airplane and had to go this crazy emergency route through Canada! YIKES. Again... stupid or brave. I will let you know how we did and I'm sure post tons of pictures for everyone (and daddy!) of our adventure.
Elliott is taking a nap yet again today. He is working on getting 2 more teeth in, the top fang looking ones. This would make his teeth total to 14!! Crazy I know. Now only if he had that many hairs on his head ;)
When I took Elliott to the doctor last week they weighed him and he is a hearty 25lbs!! Geeze. He is growing so fast, he weighs a full 20lbs more than when we brought him home. Amazing!!
Well... I am going to pack up a few more things for our flight! If anyone has any experience flying sooo far with such a "bundle of joy" please fill me in on some hints. My biggest question is if Elliott is sleeping in his car seat on the plane... and I gotta go pee... do I just leave him in the seat??? Because it;s never guaranteed that he's going to go back to sleep. And if I were to take him to the bathroom with me... how do I do my business while holding a sleeping toddler??
AHHH help!
No comments:
Post a Comment