December 18, 2008

Ireland

So, this is our first family blog from Ireland. Talk about a trip. So much has already happened and we have only been here a few days. I'm sure everyone is just dying to know how the flights went and of course the all dreaded jet-lag.

Well... here it goes, sit back and relax because it's gonna be a long one.

Monday morning, American time, we headed to the airport after my mother and I spent all weekend packing up suitcases, carryons, and one very full diaper bag. Our flight left at 1130am from Houston. While checking in all our suitcases were overweight, of course, so mommy had some rearranging to do. Needless to say our carryons got quite big. Going through security was a breeze, considering there was no one else in line. We did have to take out all our bottles and baby food and have those screen separate. Well... at least the security guards in Houston couldn't have cared less what we brought, never even gave it a second glance. YaY what a great start.

So we waited awhile until our flight was ready to board, and as we were sitting in the plane waiting to take off, Elliott passed out. Yes, my baby slept during take off, AMAZING. The flight was about 4 hours long, and Elliott slept on me the majority of the time. Kevin does not like take off and I hate the landing. So while the other was in a panic, one was tending to Elliott. That flight was rather uneventful and gave me much confidence that I could manage this trans-Atlantic journey.

We landed in Newark at I have no idea what time. haha We had a 5 hour lay over. Lucky for me I acquired 2 free passes to the Presidential Suites. ohh don't know what they are? Well, obviously you have never been in one. It is an exclusive club for usually businessmen who fly frequently. The waiting room is all leather seats, TVs, complimentary drinks and food. This included beer. Theres also a shower and laptops to use at you convenience. Well... we had 5 hours to burn, so guess where we went? haha It was AMAZING. Come to find out they had a Family Room, which if the club is for all businessmen theres usually no children. Which means we had an entire suite to ourselves. Leather seats, television, and toys for Elliott to play with. Not to mention clean floor space for him to runaround. I have pictures but I left my cord in the States so I will need to buy something here to post pictures. Again the waiting was very uneventful, aside from some cheese and free beer.

About an hour before our flight we headed to the common waiting area for 'coach class' fliers. haha This is around 830pm Houston time that we start to board the plane to take off. Again Elliott fell asleep during take-off, so I was thinking this would be a great flight. The airline also provided us with a cot that hung in front of us for Elliott to sleep in. We were in the very front row, but not first class. Next to us was a retired Priest heading back to Belfast. Well, this flight turned into a major disaster. I don't think I can remember everything that happened because I am still in denial I believe haha. Let's just say, NO ONE slept on the plane because of Elliott. And he was the only baby on the plane, so there was no secret as to which baby it was that was SCREAMING the entire time. 6 hours later and 2 beyond exhausted parents landed in Ireland at about 830am Ireland time. Which would make it 230am Houston time. Mind you Kevin and I have not slept since 5am Monday morning, and it is now 230am Tuesday completely and utterly exhausted from the flight from HELL.

We somehow get the energy to bear the freezing cold weather, gather our suitcases and find Kevin's brother to take us home. The car ride from Belfast to Omagh took about an hour and a half, and neither of us could sleep in the car. Except Elliott. We came home to a joyful reunion and Elliott was up and about it again. Oh I forgot to mention that Elliott had a severe upper respiratory infection that started on Friday and we rushed him to an Urgent Care in the middle of the night and got him some medication. So he was very ill on the plane, which today he is much better.

We have just been hanging around the house attempting to adjust to the jet-lag as much as possible. Elliott stayed up until 9am yesterday morning, so Kevin's mother never got any sleep. Last night Kevin and I watched him and he was only up hours, so he is coming around to the new time. Only if Kevin and I could now. haha The time difference is 6 hours ahead.

So Elliott's Houston bedtime is usually about 9pm, which would make it 3am in Ireland. So if we try to put Elliott to bed 9pm in Ireland thats only 3pm in Houston. You can see how this is a very difficult task, especially since he has been on such a solid routine most of his life. Kevin and I need to adjust as well, but its hard if we have to watch Elliott at night, we aren't going to bed at the same time as everyone else here either, and we want to sleep in so late in the mornings. Well, at least we have weeks to work this out. I am hopeful that by the end of the week we should be somewhat adjusted.

we saw Kevin's new nephew, Sean Paul McGlone the other day. He is such a content and fat baby. He is only a week old. He is so adorable. I will post pictures from all our travels and trips once I find a cord I can buy. The McGlone's probably won't be blogging much these next few days. Lots of sleepless nights leaves us too tired to do much. It's so great having Kevins family here to help out with Elliott while Kevin and I just kinda veg out.

No comments: