March 24, 2010

Special Delivery!

Well, we are going to deliver Declan on Thursday morning. My BP was 147/97 yesterday morning and I immediately called my doctor.

I had gone in Monday for a BP reading and it turned into a full blown appointment. My doctor checked me and I was dilated 1.5 and 50% effaced. Which is good, but not great. She said that if my BP changed (I believe it was 140/94) that we would have to deliver Thursday but if I can maintain it or keep it lower we would deliver Monday. Either way she said we would not be able to wait any longer than Monday (when I would be 38 weeks) because my BP would start to do more harm than good to the baby and he would be deprived of oxygen.

Came home and laid down for a bit and my mom returned with Elliott from Houston. I think after spending Monday with him that push my BP over the edge. There is no way that 147/97 should be a reading you get after sleeping all night. So I took Elliott to school and called my doctor. I waited for a phone call back and managed to lay down for a bit.

She called me about 30 minutes later saying that I had to come in for some testing. They hooked me up to a fetal monitor, contraction monitor and checked my BP every 5 minutes. She wanted to make sure that Declan was still very responsive and could make it a few more days. She would zap my stomach with some sort of electric shock to see how he reacted. Kevin would have freaked had he been there! lol He did good. She said his heart acceleration was a little slow but that he seemed fine. She walked out of the room for a few minutes and came back to tell me that she scheduled me to go in Thursday to deliver the baby.

Kevin and I have to be there at 5:30am. They are going to check my cervix to see if I am dilated to at least a 4. If I am then she will attempt an induction. If not, it will be too much stress on my body, cervix and most importantly the baby and we proceed with the c-section at 7:30am. While I would love more than anything to be able to have a VBAC, I will not put my own selfish need to feel whole as a woman above my son's health. I have made peace with whatever takes place and made plans for a longer recovery for me if it is a c-section.

We are looking at at least 3 days in the hospital. After my birth with Elliott I was there for 5 days, but hopefully since we are preventing our situation from escalating as badly as it did with him, I will be allowed home sooner. And of course, Declan coming home with us this time =0)

I am so excited to have the baby in the room with us and be able to just sit in the bed with him! It's the simple things like that that I didn't get to experience with Elliott. We are also going to attempt to breast feed this time and I know that a c-section slows the onset of milk but hopefully we will be able to manage.

On a last minute note.... we have decided to change Declan's middle name. LOL Apparently my husband finds it necessary to tell me 2 days before we have him that he does not like the middle name choice! Good one love. I was indifferent so we are changing it from Declan James to Declan Joseph. Still a J middle name =0) Can't have him different from the rest of us!

Well, Kevin is about to go shopping for some groceries, so I need to make out a list of stuff for Elliott to eat while in in the hospital. I will attempt to keep everyone posted, and of course pictures will be posted asap for all those across the pond! We may post a video or 2 (not of the actual birth though). Much love.

No comments: